Monday, January 25, 2010

Monday Funday, or, Why I Love Freelancing

It is a rainy, windy, utterly disgusting day in New York City, and I am very grateful I don't have to go out in this mess until tonight. I had one client who came to me this morning, and I have go to teach a lesson tonight. Nat and I were supposed to rehearse this evening, too, but she's under the weather (this is not fun weather to be under), so we rescheduled for later this week.

So. Here I am, with a cup of tea, some peanut butter and crackers, and my long to-do list to keep me company. The downsides of freelancing are: ridiculously long days of ping-ponging all around the metropolitan area, the occasional non-payment for services rendered, having to work through bad weather, break-ups and other literal and figurative migraines, because the show must go on, and there's no paid time off. But there are upsides. Like right now, it's noon on Monday, and my CEO, CFO, marketing manager, and head of the creativity department, all of whom share a human host body with me, are telling me I can and should watch the latest episode of 30 Rock before continuing about my business. This week is going to be crazy busy. Go ahead. Chill for 21 minutes. On a rainy Monday afternoon. People, don't hate me 'cause I'm lucky.

After my 21-minute break, it's back to the to-do list, which today will include, yes, you guessed it, another tender Billy Joel ballad. I think I'll learn "She's Always a Woman". Yesterday it was "She's Got a Way". I'll move on from my ballady comfort zone soon, but I need to save some of my time today to review other songs. The learning a song a day has been a challenge, but a gentle challenge, like running a 5K. The retaining of said songs... more like a marathon, requiring a longer, steadier commitment.

Excuse me, y'all, but I have an appointment to keep now.

No comments:

Post a Comment