Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Best of My Love

The Best of My Love

A random choice, this song. I had these grand plans of choosing my songs once a week or so, and doing a lot of intense listening and research etc. etc., but I must have been forgetting something: namely, the fact that I live in New York City and have an erratic and (thankfully) busy schedule. I reached the end of the day today, and realized I had no brainpower left to learn a totally new song. I had this song stuck in my head earlier today for some reason, so it seemed a natural choice. It was quick and painless.

They have a very Western vibe, the Eagles, don't they? I'm not sure how to explain it. Obviously, there are some musical characteristics - a little country vibe in the bass or the changes, and they sing about peaceful, easy feelings and Winslow, AZ. (Personally, places like Winslow, AZ give me anything but a peaceful, easy feeling - I get claustrophobic in small towns. That's why I don't live in them anymore.) But there's something else, too, that I can't put my finger on. It's the same feeling I get when I meet someone here in New York and I know even before they tell me that they're from west of the Mississippi.

Whatever the Dude may say, I like the Eagles. And I don't get thrown out of taxis either.

1 comment: